I. Information Collection and Privacy
- Collecting Information: Your information is the information that’s required when you sign up for the app/site, as well as the information you choose to share.
- Registration information: When you sign up for Compass.to, you are required to provide information such as your name, email address, birthday, and gender. In some cases, you may be able to register using other information, like your telephone number.
- Information you choose to share: Your information also includes the information you choose to share on Compass.to, such as sharing your compasses, posting a status update or uploading a photo.
Location Information: You may choose to publish your location in your compasses and in your Compass.to profile. You may also tell us your location when you enable your computer or mobile device to send us location information. We may use and store information about your location to provide features of our Services and to improve and customize the Services, for example, with more relevant content like local trends, stories, ads, and suggestions for people or other compasses to follow. When we get your GPS location, we put it together with other location information we have about you (like your current city). But we only keep it until it is no longer useful to provide you services, like keeping your last GPS coordinates to send you relevant notifications.
Links: Compass.to may keep track of how you interact with links across our Services, including our email notifications, third-party services, and client applications, by redirecting clicks or through other means. We do this to help improve our Services, to provide more relevant advertising, and to be able to share aggregate click statistics such as how many times a particular link was clicked on.
Cookies: Like many websites, we use “cookie” technology to collect additional website usage data and to improve our Services, but we do not require cookies for many parts of our Services such as searching and looking at public user profiles or lists. A cookie is a small data file that is transferred to your computer’s hard disk. Compass.to may use both session cookies and persistent cookies to better understand how you interact with our Services, to monitor aggregate usage by our users and web traffic routing on our Services, and to customize and improve our Services. Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies. You can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. However, some Services may not function properly if you disable cookies.
Log Data: Our servers automatically record information (“Log Data”) created by your use of the Services. Log Data may include information such as your IP address, browser type, operating system, the referring web page, pages visited, location, your mobile carrier, device and application IDs, search terms, and cookie information. We receive Log Data when you interact with our Services, for example, when you visit our websites, sign into our Services, interact with our email notifications, use your Compass.to-Account to authenticate to a third-party website or application, or visit a third-party website that includes a Compass.to button or widget. Compass.to uses Log Data to provide our Services and to measure, customize, and improve them.
Widget Data: We may tailor content for you based on your visits to third-party websites that integrate Compass.to buttons or widgets. When these websites first load our buttons or widgets for display, we receive Log Data, including the web page you visited and a cookie that identifies your browser (“Widget Data”). While we have the Widget Data, we may use it to tailor content for you, such as suggestions for compasses or people to follow on Compass.to.
- General Use of Information: We use the information we receive about you in connection with the services and features we provide to you and other users like your friends, our partners, the advertisers that purchase ads on the site, and the developers that build the games, applications, and websites you use. For example, in addition to helping people see and find things that you do and share, we may use the information we receive about you:
- as part of our efforts to keep Compass.to products, services and integrations safe and secure;
- to protect Compass.to’s or others’ rights or property;
- to provide you with location features and services, like telling you and your friends when something is going on nearby;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of ads you and others see, including to deliver relevant ads to you;
- to make suggestions to you and other users on Compass.to; and
- for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and service improvement. Granting us this permission not only allows us to provide Compass.to as it exists today, but it also allows us to provide you with innovative features and services we develop in the future that use the information we receive about you in new ways.
II. Sharing Information
We may share or disclose your information at your direction, such as when you authorize a third-party web client or application to access your Compass.to account.
Public Content, the Compass.to API, and Apps: When you use Compass.to, certain information is public, such as your public user profile information, the “Spots” you created, your public compasses, the compasses you follow or that follow you, or the number of users who clicked on a particular link (even if only one did), tips, likes, public photos and lists of friends, and may be searchable by search engines and be shared with or disclosed to third parties, including through our API to a wide range of users and services. We may also share or disclose aggregated and anonymous data, such as anonymized geo-data (that is, not tied to individual users), to third parties, including users of our API, for analytical or other purposes.
III. Advice for sharing content
Control each time you post
Whenever you post content (like a status update, photo or check-in), you can select a specific audience, or even customize your audience. To do this, simply click on the sharing icon and choose who can see it.
- Choose this icon if you want to make something Public. Choosing to make something public means that anyone, including people off of Compass.to, will be able to see or access it.
- Choose this icon if you want to share with your Compass.to Friends.
- Choose this icon if you want to Customize your audience.
Always think before you post. Just like anything else you post on the web or send in an email, information you share on Compass.to can be copied or re-shared by anyone who can see it.
Information that is always publicly available
The types of information listed below are always publicly available, and are treated just like information you decided to make public.
- Name: This helps your friends find you.
- Profile Pictures and Cover Photos: These help your friends recognize you. If you are uncomfortable making any of these photos public, you can always delete it. Unless you delete them, when you add a new profile picture or cover photo, the previous photo will remain public in your profile picture or cover photo album.
- Networks: This helps you see whom you will be sharing information with before you choose “Friends and Networks” as a custom audience.
- Spots: Whenever you create a Spot it is always publicly available. This helps to collect many interesting spots, locations and information and share them with the other users of Compass.to.
Our Services are not directed to persons under 13. If you become aware that your child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us at email@example.com. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we take steps to remove such information and terminate the child’s account.
V. Security of Personal Information
Your Compass.to account Personal Information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You need to prevent unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your password appropriately, and limiting access to your computer and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account.
Compass.to endeavors to safeguard user information to ensure that user account information is kept private. However, Compass.to cannot guarantee the security of user account information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time.
VI. Changes to this Policy